World War Memorial Pavillon
In 1931, the American Legion Auxiliary of Adirondack Post 70 decided also that a memorial should be built as a "Tribute to the Saratogians who served in World War 1 and a recognition of those who were killed in action or died in the service." Spearheaded by Miss Evelyn Barrett, the group urged on the project and was able to procure the $20,000 for the funding and building with architects LaFarge, Warren & Clark being hired for the planning stage of the structure with a local mason firm, Ritchie Brothers, building the memorial and bandstand.
The style chosen was as a replica of the Temple of Love in Paris which was an octagonal building open to the sky with a Greek Simplicity format. The building is constructed of pink granite and has eight Doric columns.. On six of the columns are names of all of the Saratogians who served in World War 1 - 800 in all from all branches of the U. S. military along with the Red Cross and with British and French forces. On the central and larger pilaster are the names of those who made the greatest sacrifice in giving their lives. In years following, granite markers were also added honoring veterans of World War 2, the Korean War, and in Viet Nam. On the center of the floor is another memorial, a 5-pointed gold bronze star as a tribute to the Gold Star Mothers of World War 1. Surrounding this imposing star is a circlet of bronze with the inscription: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."