Royal Air Force Digby
The oldest RAF station, opened on 28 March 1918, is located near the village of Scopwick and is an important signals site for all three services. Home to Joint and RAF units, the Station is part of UK StratCom, and is commanded by a RAF Wing Commander.
Digby was originally called RAF Scopwick and was established on 28 March 1918. It has been home to a number of units, including Nos. 2 and 3 Flying Training Schools and Frank Whittle, Guy Gibson and Douglas Bader were all stationed here.
In 1941, the Station welcomed a number of Royal Canadian Air Force Squadrons, a relationship that endured until the end of WWII. Pilot Officer John Magee RCAF who wrote the famous aviation poem ‘High Flight’ was based here and was killed in 1941; he is buried at Scopwick CWGC burial ground. Following a brief period as a Technical Training unit, the role of the Station changed yet again in 1955 with the arrival of No. 399 Signals Unit. This was later joined by 591 Signals Unit and the Aerial Erectors School.
No. 399 Signals Unit changed its name to the Joint Service Signal Unit on 15 September 1998, reflecting its tri-service composition. On 1st April 2005 the Unit became the Joint Service Signals Wing (JSSW) Digby. On 1st August 2008 the Unit changed its name back to the Joint Service Signal Unit (D). The Station has a rich RAF heritage with former Station Commanders including ACM Sir Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris, MRAF Lord Tedder and ACM Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory.
Currently, the Station is home to Joint and RAF units, and is commanded by a RAF Wing Commander.