New London Naval Submarine BaseNew
New London is the Navy's first Submarine Base and the "Home of the Submarine Force." The base’s beginnings were as a naval yard and storage depot. Established on April 11th, 1868, the State of Connecticut gave the Navy 112 acres of land along the Thames River to build a Naval Station. Due to a lack of federal funding, it was not until 1872 that two brick buildings and a "T" shaped pier were constructed and officially declared a Navy Yard.
In 1898, Congress approved a coaling station be built at the yard primarily used as a coaling station for refueling small naval ships traveling through the area. By 1912, oil had replaced coal in warships and the yard was repeatedly scheduled for closure. However, on October 18th, 1915, the monitor Ozark, a submarine tender, and four submarines arrived in Groton, giving new purpose to the yard’s existence.
The mission of the Naval Submarine Base New London provides support over assigned shore organizations: to provide a Base Operations Support (BOS) infrastructure to the operating forces of the Navy as well as other Naval organizations and tenants, and to program and budget for resources to support BOS requirements. Naval Submarine Base New London ensures and enhances national security by providing the facilities, delivering the services, and creating the environment for the Fleet, Fighter, and Family to deploy combat-ready submarines and their crews, and, train professional submariners.