Izmir Air Station
As a geographically separated unit of the 39th ABW at Incirlik, Turkey, the 425th Air Base Squadron (ABS) supports the NATO Land Command Headquarters here in Izmir and GSU at Istanbul. The NATO Land Command Headquarters is led by an American U.S. Army Lieutenant General and consists of military members and civilians from the U.S. and 16 of the 19 NATO countries. The 425 ABS does everything normally accomplished by a wing with the exception of operations. Additionally, the 425 ABS maintains the U.S. facilities on Cigli (pronounced Chili) Air Base, a nearby Turkish Air Force installation. The 425 ABS primary customer is NATO's Component Command Land Headquarters-Izmir. The land component is responsible for the full range of NATO air operations throughout the AOR stretching from the Azores and Canary Islands to eastern Turkey.
The 425th Air Base Squadron was activated in Izmir as the 7266th Support Squadron in November 1955 to support Allied Land Forces Southeastern Europe and Sixth Allied Tactical Air Force relieving the U.S. Sixth Fleet of that responsibility. On July 1, 1959, most of the 7266th moved to Cigli Air Base, 13 miles north of Izmir. In 1970, U.S. facilities at Cigli Air Base were turned over to the Turkish Air Force, the 41st TG was inactivated and the 41st Combat Support Squadron was renamed the 7241st Support Squadron and moved to downtown Izmir. In 1973, the 7241st Support Squadron was changed to an Air Base Squadron until August 1980 when it was then designated as the 7241st Air Base Group. In 1993, the 7241st ABG was changed back to an air base squadron and renamed the 741st Air Base Squadron. On November 1, 1994, the 741st ABS was renamed the 425th Air Base Squadron. On October 3, 2005, the 425th ABS was redesignated as the 425th Air Base Group. The most recent change came July 1, 2009, when the group was renamed the 425th Air Base Squadron.