Iowa Army Ammunition Plant
The mission of the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant (IAAP), located in Des Moines County in southeastern Iowa, near the city of Burlington, is to manufacture and deliver large caliber items for the Department of Defense using modern production methods in support of worldwide operations.
CAPABILITIES Capabilities of the center include: load, assemble and pack for a full range of munitions and high explosive components; tank ammunition (105 mm; 120 mm); high explosive artillery; large caliber mortars (81 mm; 120 mm); insensitive munitions; smart munitions mines/scatterable mines; missile assembly/missile warheads; rocket assisted projectiles; detonators; development; pressed and cast warheads; and testing.
HISTORY The IAAP was established in November 1940, as the Iowa Ordnance Plant and started production in 1941. Production was stopped in 1945, when WWII ended. In 1947, the US Atomic Energy Commission assumed responsibility. The plant resumed its ammunition manufacturing mission in 1949. In 1950, in response to the Korean War, production increased dramatically. During these years it was known as the Burlington Atomic Energy Commission Plant (BAECP). The Burlington AEC Plant did final assembly on nuclear weapons until 1975, when assembly was consolidated at Pantex. In 1975, responsibility for the IAAP reverted to the Army.