Fort Stewart is a census-designated place and United States Army post in the U.S. state of Georgia. It lies primarily in Liberty and Bryan counties, but also extends into smaller portions of Evans, Long and Tattnall counties.
Fort Stewart traces its history back to November 1940, when the Anti-Aircraft Artillery Training Center was officially designated as Camp Stewart, in honor of General Daniel Stewart, a native of Liberty County who fought with Francis Marion (the Swamp Fox) during the Revolution. Since then, Fort Stewart's size and strategic location led to important roles in our Nation's defense. On April 25, 1996, the 3d Infantry Division was activated at Fort Stewart. This began a new chapter in the history of Fort Stewart. For more information, go to the installation homepage.
Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield is the Army’s Premier Power Projection Platform on the East Coast. We are responsible for training, equipping, deploying, and redeploying, active and reserve component Army units. And we are home to the historic 3rd Infantry Division.
Stewart’s 288,000 acres provide unequaled joint training opportunities along the Eastern seaboard for all branches of the military.