From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
United States Army Garrison Fort Buchanan, Puerto Rico is the U.S. Army’s only active military installation in Puerto Rico. Located in the Metropolitan area of San Juan. Its mission is “to provide Soldiers, Civilians and their Families with a quality of life commensurate with the quality of their service.” Its vision statement “Home Away From Home” is to be the most desired Military Community in which to live, work and play.
On November 19, 1493, Christopher Columbus discovered Puerto Rico during his second voyage to the New World. For four centuries, Puerto Rico was part of the Spanish Empire. There is a link between the history of Fort Buchanan and the history of the U.S. Army in Puerto Rico that dates back to the 19th century during the Spanish–American War. On July 25, 1898, U.S. forces landed in Guánica. On October 18, 1898 the last Spanish unit left the island and the Department of Porto Rico was established. Upon the signing of the Treaty of Paris on December 10, 1898, Spain ceded Puerto Rico to the United States and the island became an unincorporated territory of the U.S.
The Puerto Rico Regiment
On July 1, 1899, “The Puerto Rico Regiment of Infantry, United States Army” was created. On July 1, 1901 Lieutenant Colonel James Anderson Buchanan commanded the regiment. He was later promoted to Colonel on July 21, 1902 and to Brigadier General in 1905. Buchanan served in Puerto Rico from 1898 to 1903. The military installation, Fort Buchanan, was named after Brigadier General James A. Buchanan, the first commander of the Puerto Rico Regiment.
The Puerto Rico Regiment approved by Congress on May 27, 1908 was officially designated as the 65th Infantry Regiment in 1920, after defending the Canal Zone during World War I. A tract of 300 acres approximately six miles on the south shore of San Juan Bay was acquired to provide the regiment with a training area. The site was established in 1923 as Camp Buchanan. It served as a target range and maneuver area for Army and National Guard troops from 1923 to 1939.