Fort Bragg ArmyNew
In 1918, the Chief of Field Artillery, General William J. Snow, seeking an area having suitable terrain, adequate water, rail facilities, and a climate for year-round training, decided that the area now known as Fort Bragg met all of the desired criteria.
Consequently, Camp Bragg came into existence on Sept. 4, 1918. Camp Bragg was named for a native North Carolinian Gen. Braxton Bragg for his actions during the Mexican-American war. Prior to its establishment as a military reservation, the area was a desolate region. Huge forests of Longleaf and Loblolly pines covered the sandy area. About 1729 Highland Scots began cultivating the land in the Longstreet Presbyterian Church area in what was to become part of Fort Bragg.
Our mission is to maintain America's Contingency Corps as a strategic crisis response force manned and trained to deploy rapidly by air, sea, and land anywhere in the world, in order to fight upon arrival and win. It is known as the Home of the Airborne and Special Operation Force. Fort Bragg houses the XVIII Airborne Corps and the 82nd Airborne Division, the U.S. Army Special Operations Command, and the U.S. Army Parachute Team (the Golden Knights). Fort Bragg units also include the Corps Support Command, 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, 16th Military Police Brigade, 20th Engineer Brigade, 108th ADA Brigade, 44th Medical Command, 18th Fires Brigade, and more.