- Fort Bliss
Located in El Paso, TX, Fort Bliss is home to the 1st Armored Division, which returned to US soil in 2011, after 40 years in Germany. Fort Bliss is comprised of approximately 1.12 million acres of land in Texas and New Mexico. The Main Cantonment Area of Fort Bliss is located adjacent to El Paso, Texas.
Fort Bliss trained thousands of U.S. Soldiers during the Cold War. As the United States gradually came to master the art of building and operating missiles, Fort Bliss became more and more important to the country and expanded accordingly.
In November 1848, the War Department ordered the establishment of a post at El Paso Del Norte. The first U.S. troops to arrive were six rifle companies of the 3rd Infantry Regiment. These troops established a military post known simply as "The Post Opposite El Paso." After closing and relocating the post, the Army officially renamed it, Fort Bliss, on March 8, 1854, in honor of Lieutenant Colonel William Wallace Smith Bliss, an Army assistant adjutant general during the Mexican War. For more information go to the Fort Bliss homepage.